Crash Course Myth Videos

Take us there, bubble! One of the first things that I took away from the first video was the explanations of interpretations and how calling something a myth isn't saying that it is true or untrue. For example, I would be lying if I did not feel a bit strange writing and reading about Adam and Eve with the connotation of myth around it. After watching this video, I got a bit of relief as I am a Christian and it was just a strange feeling at first. Another thing I found interesting was the way that they stated how many versions of myths there can actually be. I wonder if someday the internet breaks and the world goes to chaos, what if the retelling of our stories are the only remnants of myths that people in 200 years could find? This may be outlandish, but it makes one wonder how many different versions there really are. Additionally, how much the stories we read differ from the original, especially since many times it is hard to find authors for the myths. I enjoyed the second video; however, I felt it was rather hard to follow and kind of all over the place. Nonetheless, it was very interesting to hear different mythological theories. I also was not aware that there was a connection between psychology and mythology. I would have never thought that people such as Sigmund Freud would look to myths to attempt to define the human psyche. I also found the video regarding hero's and heroines extremely interesting. There is a multitude of ways that heroes can be portrayed and also different ways they can go on their journey. I think that they make intriguing points about meeting their father and reaching enlightenment. The three parts can often be identified in a lot of the stories we have been reading. I think it is so cool to see things that we can apply to the stories we read in Untextbook.

Comments

Popular Posts